Fresh strawberries and cream bring rich flavor to this easy oven strawberry French toast recipe. Perfect make-ahead recipe for breakfast or brunch! Serve with extra berries, whipped cream, and strawberry syrup.
- cooking spray
- 1 loaf day-old Italian bread
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest (Optional)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease or spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Step 2 Slice the bread into 16 slices using a sharp knife. Save the ends to use in another dish, or discard. Arrange the bread slices in the prepared baking pan. Tuck strawberry slices between and around the bread.
- Step 3 Whisk eggs, milk, cream, sugar, lemon zest, almond extract, and salt together until well combined.
- Step 4 Pour the egg mixture over the bread slices. Press down on the top of the bread to help the egg absorb; it’s okay if a little is in the bottom of the pan. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 5 Bake in the center of the preheated oven until the bread is firm when gently pressed and the top is crispy and golden, 45 to 55 minutes.
You can use 2% or whole milk.
If you are making this the night before, cover the pan with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours. Let the pan stand on the counter while you are preheating the oven.
Per Serving: 406 calories; protein 16.3g; carbohydrates 51.8g; fat 14.8g; cholesterol 211.3mg; sodium 628mg.