- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted semisweet chocolate, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Colored sugar and sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter, 1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 6-8 minutes (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- If desired, dip in melted chocolate and let stand until set or, in a small bowl, mix remaining 1 cup confectioners’ sugar and enough water to reach desired consistency. Dip cookies in glaze; decorate as desired. Let stand until set.
Melted chocolate candy coating may be used in place of confectioners’ sugar glaze; dip and decorate as directed. If the dough is sticky, chill it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before loading it into the press.
1 cookie: 43 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.