- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup, optional
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup if desired.
Test Kitchen TipsCinnamon comes in two basic types: Ceylon and cassia. Ceylon cinnamon’s delicate, complex flavor is ideal for ice creams and simple sauces. The spicy, bolder cassia cinnamon (often labeled simply as cinnamon) is preferred for baking.Unless otherwise specified, Taste of Home recipes are tested with lightly salted butter. Unsalted, or sweet, butter is sometimes used to achieve a buttery flavor, such as in shortbread cookies or buttercream frosting. In these recipes, added salt would detract from the buttery taste desired.Our top-rated breakfast recipes will revolutionize the way you wake up.
1 serving: 223 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 484mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.