Southern egg salad, primarily used for sandwiches. Serve on fresh bread of your choice. My wife likes to make double-decker sandwiches (utilizing whole wheat bread for the center slice) with pimento cheese on the other half. Trim the edges and cut into 2 or 3 pieces. Great for tailgating.
- 6 large eggs
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet India pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 dashes hot sauce (such as Tabasco®) (Optional)
- Step 1 Cover eggs with water in a saucepan, bring to a low boil, let boil slowly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Transfer eggs to ice water to chill for 5 minutes; peel. Grate eggs into a medium mixing bowl and add mayonnaise, relish, mustard, sugar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Step 3 Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
You can use 1 packet of sugar substitute instead of white sugar, and white pepper instead of black pepper.
Per Serving: 102 calories; protein 3.9g; carbohydrates 2.1g; fat 8.9g; cholesterol 114.4mg; sodium 185.7mg.