A refreshing watermelon alcoholic punch with hints of citrus and spiked with white rum. It’s the perfect watermelon cooler to beat the heat!
ABOUT WATERMELON RUM PUNCH
Summer is still in full swing, and in my house, that still means there’s plentyof good reasons to whip up this watermelon alcoholic punch.
Because, summer. I think we can all agree that the heat this year has been crazy, and what better way is there to beat it than basking in the refreshing taste of a delicious watermelon drink with hints of citrus and spiked with white rum?
I certainly don’t know a better way!
This drink actually came about because watermelons were on sale at our local grocery store, and as always, that brought up the story about how an old friend of mine knows how to select the perfect watermelon. Now, I certainly don’t question his skills – the watermelons he’s picked over the past decade have always been great – but this year he had some competition in judgment, as this is the first summer my mother has been with us.
She was with me in the store when we picked the watermelons. And, of course, an old friend of mine did his customary second review of our haul once we brought them home.
My mother thought both watermelons were good.
an old friend of mine, however, insisted that one would be far better than the other.
So which watermelon ended up being the best to use for this watermelon alcoholic punch?
Well, if you ask me and my mother, we would have said both. I’m just happy to have watermelon at all, and she was proud of her choices. An old friend of mine, however, stuck to his guns and insisted that his pick was still the best.
But you know what? In the end, I think both watermelons tasted equally good in this watermelon cooler.
TIPS & NOTES FOR THIS WATERMELON RUM PUNCH
- Want to know how you can ensure you always buy a great-tasting watermelon? Check out this article on the best way to pick a watermelon. There are a couple different ways and, in my experience, they all seem to work pretty well. My mother relies on method #2 while an old friend of mine used method #3!
- Like the glasses used in these pictures? You can get a similar set here: Gold Dot Wine Glasses.
- You’ll also need a trusty food processor for this recipe. I bought the Ninja Blender System almost 10 years ago and it hasn’t failed me yet!
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON PUNCH
This next part is only a photo tutorial of the recipe steps. If you’re looking for the full recipe measurements and instructions, scroll down to Recipe Details.
Step 1 – In a food processor, blend watermelon until slushy, then pour through a strainer to separate the thicker pulp and seeds. Go ahead and discard anything that’s in the strainer.
Step 2 – Transfer watermelon juice to a pitcher, then stir in light rum, orange juice, lime juice, and ginger beer.
Step 3 – Serve over ice and enjoy!
- 8 cup seedless watermelon cut into 1 or 2 inch cubes
- 1 cup light rum
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 cup ginger beer
- In food processor, blend watermelon until smooth, about 1-3 minutes.
- Using a strainer and a large bowl, pour blended watermelon over strainer so that watermelon juice falls into the bowl. Use a spatula to move and press the watermelon against the strainer to get out all of the juice (see video above for example). Discard any solids left in the strainer.
- Pour watermelon juice into a large pitcher with light rum, orange juice, lime juice. Stir to combine.
- When ready to serve, add ginger beer to pitcher, then stir to combine.
- Pour watermelon rum punch over ice and enjoy!