We’ve enjoyed a few hearty breakfast casseroles while visiting an Amish inn. When I asked for a recipe, one of the ladies told me the ingredients right off the top of her head. I modified it to create this quick and easy breakfast casserole my family loves. —Beth Notaro, Kokomo, Indiana
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen tipsCreate a pretty burst of color and fresh flavor by adding a pinch of minced herbs to the egg mixture. Thyme and parsley are perfect candidates; try 1 teaspoon fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried.Cottage cheese is surprisingly versatile and almost disappears into this dish when baked.Assemble a day in advance, and bake just before serving.
1 piece: 273 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.